In my 20′s it was about how I looked. Now that I’m in my late 30′s I realize it’s about my life – my health, my quality of life and my ability to give what I know I’m capable of giving. Would I rather eat pastries for breakfast than oatmeal? Yes! Would I rather have French fries than steamed veggies? Absolutely! But there’s a price to pay if I do that all the time, and it’s not worth it. So I do it sometimes, and I make other choices to make sure I’m not over my calorie budget by moving more or controlling calories at other meals. And I can do that because I understand the “big picture” of weight control – and it isn’t about dieting. Dieting equals deprivation in my eyes and the eyes of everyone I know. But before we talk about that, you need to answer the question “Why do I want to lose weight?” You’ll have to find your reason for losing weight. When you find your reason, you’ll have the motivation to make the changes you need for lasting success. (And no, you don’t have to diet and you don’t need “willpower”). Think about it. Figure it out and write it down. And when you do, share it with me (email@example.com ) or a close friend. We need each other so don’t go at it alone – and stay tuned, I’ve got a game plan for you.
Let’s get real. Gaining weight is way easier than losing it OR maintaining a healthy weight. And dieting stinks. Period. No one intends to gain excess weight – it sort of happens over time if you don’t pay attention. And as a registered dietitian, personal trainer and working mom, I’ve come to realize that I have to make a conscious choice to maintain a healthy body weight – everyday.
Some days are easier than others (ladies you know what I mean) but it IS a choice. If I blame it on my overweight parents, negative relatives , my busy schedule, the economy, my finances, PMS or stress, I give up my power. And in the end, I give up on myself. I’m NOT doing that and neither should you. When you take the time to nurture yourself, you’ll have more energy, you’ll be less stressed and you’ll be much more pleasant to be around. If you don’t do this, you’ll start to lose yourself, if you haven’t already. So maybe it’s time for a change. A change in the way you view yourself AND the way you approach weight loss.
What’s the Problem?
Navigating the sea of confusion
What’s wrong with supplements?
What’s the problem with using dietary supplements? When the dust settles on the practice of supplementing one’s diet for health or performance reasons, there are typically three areas that remain a sore spot with overall health industry acceptance. These are:
1. Lack of industry testing/quality control- no guarantee of label claim being in the product
2. Fear of excessive nutrient intake
3. Bogus claims/ridiculous marketing
While we at dotFIT cannot police the entire industry, we can control our little part of the supplement world. Also, while most companies mention in the fine print that you need to include proper diet and exercise, we make sure that all of these elements are available at the same place and at the same time. Now, addressing the three issues above, here is what we do as a company to overcome those obstacles.
1. Our unique formulas are produced by Robinson Pharma, an FDA-registered, Drug-Licensed facility that operates in compliance with Current Good Manufacturing Practices (cGMP). Additionally, our products undergo 3rd party testing through Schuster labs. This gives us a peace of mind as a manufacturer that our products are made in a facility that tests from raw material to finished product and at many steps along the way. The finished products are then validated for purity and potency by a third party lab. This piece of mind trickles down to the consumer who can, with complete confidence, know that what is listed on the label is indeed in the product. Additionally, all of our meal replacement powders are manufactured with uncompromising standards in compliance with current Good Manufacturing Practices (cGMP) in an FDA- and NSF-registered facility, ensuring an environment free of possible cross-contamination (a big issue in sports).
2. Recent polls have shown that up to 65% of Americans take at least one dietary supplement a day, with a high percentage taking more than one. Combining multiple products from multiple manufacturers can be a recipe for disaster. Manufacturers do not get together and BBQ on the weekend, discussing how their formulas can integrate with each other’s products. Sadly, it is common practice for manufacturers to include a considerable amount of additional ingredients, window dressing if you will, to make their formula stand out amongst a sea of competition. Multiple products taking this “add-on” approach can easily lead to excessive and potentially problematic nutrient intakes. Following our “program” approach, dotFIT is a system, one where the daily use of a properly formulated multiple vitamin-and-mineral formula forms the foundation of anyone’s plan. All other dotFIT products and formulas are coordinated with the multivitamin formula and only deliver the specific nutrients or compounds needed or desired in the additional product. No add-ons or window dressing is necessary. Taking this approach ensures that the user NEVER exceeds the upper limit of nutrient intake. Our recommendations take into account the person’s age, sex, diet, goal, activity level, experience and medical history when determining what, if any, supplement recommendations are made.
3. As for bogus claims and ridiculous marketing . . . have you seen our stuff? We go a long way to educate and provide support materials to those who sell and take our products because we do not advertise or make outlandish claims. All product information on the label conforms to FDA and FTC standards and laws regarding supplement labeling. Our support materials, such as our thorough Supplement Reference Guide (like a dietary supplement Physicians’ Desk Reference), include the scientific research and facts about what it is, what it does and how it applies to our target audience. We believe that education, awareness and proper screening are what makes a product a viable option for a consumer, not giveaways and sexy models.
There you have it. In a sea of chaos and misinformation we can only police our little part of the pond. But in our world, we do it safely.
We do it properly.
And we do it right.
From Nutritionalysis to Apex to…dotFIT
Anyone who really knows me will tell you I’m true to my word and I always finish what I start – which, after 30 years in the fitness industry and building three companies, are the reasons I’m starting a fourth one (Nutritionalysis, Apex Fitness Group, NASM and now dotFIT). This wasn’t the easiest thing to do because my wife begged me not to, and frankly, I don’t blame her. After all, we’ve worked our tails off for three decades and probably should’ve “retired” long ago. But seriously, what am I going to do sitting on a beach somewhere “relaxing” the rest of my life? I might as well be dead. In fact, I’d probably shoot myself from being bored out of my mind and for feeling guilty for leaving the industry incomplete.
You CAN lose weight and get fit on YOUR terms
I guess my deep desire to give every person on the planet the tools, information and motivation they need to experience success with their health, weight and sport is my way of giving back for all the good deeds done for me. And although I have dedicated my life’s work to the health club industry and fitness professionals, and still will, everyone must be able to experience fitness on their own terms. Only then will I be finished.
dotFIT has the right program, experience AND people to get you to your goals
One thing I know for sure, this is the reason I’m here on this earth – to help save the world through fitness, and I have a feeling that when you have pure intentions, good things happen. So, it’s probably fitting that dotFIT is the final chapter in realizing my purpose. I can say with full confidence that we finally have the potential to deliver fitness anywhere for anyone and in any style.
- For one, we have the right people – a team of extremely talented and experienced individuals who don’t just believe in this mission and share my passion – they live it every day.
- Two, technology has enabled us to create a virtual gym that can go global – 24/7. That means you can get everything you need online, on the phone or at a dotFIT gym.
- Three, people need simple and affordable solutions to help improve health and control weight like never before.
Right people, right place, right time. Not to mention the valuable lessons learned from past experiences running previous companies and creating bodybugg. We’re taking all of this and as always, the most updated research to provide a holistic, evidenced-based nutrition and exercise resource for everyone. In case you’re wondering, this program isn’t anything like those free fitness and nutrition websites out there (and by the way you know what they say about things that are free). I can list numerous differences but the main one is that this program gives you meaningful information you need to know to consistently move you closer to your goal until you achieve it and do it your way. And don’t forget, people do best when they’re connected to other people so we’ve partnered with the best trainers and coaches in the business who also live to help others succeed.
We’re on your side because fitness is who we are
It’s amazing what people can accomplish when they share a common belief and are willing to fight through the challenges that life inevitably throws at you. I think it’s just a test to see if you really want it. And if we’ve ever met face to face or you’ve heard me speak, you can probably tell that fitness is who I am; it’s in my gut and etched within my soul, which makes “retirement” out of the question. I can relax when I’m dead. Until then, I’ll be committed to helping you reach your goals on your terms.
Dieting to lose weight is difficult at best, and generally ends in frustration for the average person. The majority of people gain most of the weight back within the first year (1,2). However, there are three strategies that have consistently proven to be effective in losing weight and maintaining the loss. When combining all three, a person may have the greatest chance of succeeding in accomplishing their desired weight loss (when compared to all current conventional methods of weight loss). When incorporating the three simple methods shown below during caloric restriction, the dieter should significantly reduce the overall effort generally associated with dieting. This allows the participant to more comfortably achieve and maintain the desired outcome.
1. Self-weigh as often as possible and chart your progress
All studies investigating self-weighing as a weight control strategy have demonstrated that the more you weigh yourself the greater the weight loss , maintenance of the loss and prevention of weight gain (3,4,5,6). Research also validated the reverse: the less frequently subjects weighed in, the lower their chance of success, and those who checked their weight the least or never gained weight. Presumably by the time they would weigh themselves, if ever, it was too late to undo the damage without a significant lifestyle change, hence they continued to gain weight.
Figure 1 captures the significant results of regular weighing. More significant is the fact that as time went on the subjects who consistently weighed themselves continued to reduce their body mass index (BMI). This is completely opposite today’s norm.
Subjects weighing multiple times a week reported that any time weight was not trending in a desired direction they would make a simple adjustment. Sometimes eating slightly less (including skipping a meal) or an alteration in exercise would allow them to maintain an easy, steady course to the goal (7). Additionally, the fact that one has to weigh each day (or most days) influences people to “think twice” about consuming something that might give them an undesirable weigh in.
12 Month Weighing Frequency
24 Month Weighing Frequency
Figure 1 shows the results of weighing frequency: the red bars were subjects attempting weight loss. The black bars were subjects attempting to prevent weight gain. These amazing results clearly demonstrate the effectiveness of regular weighing.
2. Use of pharmacological agents (prescription drugs) to assist weight loss
The goal of incorporating a dietary supplement or drug into a weight loss program is to assist the participant in complying with the conditions necessary for weight reduction. In 19 studies, participants using weight loss drugs that prevent dietary fat/ calorie absorption and speed metabolism significantly increased total weight loss combined with a dietary/lifestyle regime than when compared to subjects using the dietary/lifestyle regime and placebo (8). The treatment groups were, on average, three times more likely to lose more than five percent of their total body weight and four times more likely to maintain the weight loss after two years.
The problem with drug therapy is that prescription weight loss drugs should not be used for extended periods of time because they bring along known side effects. Therefore, the goal would be to find safe, natural alternatives in dietary supplements that have the same basic actions (increase calorie burning and block unneeded calories), thus potential to assist in weight loss (9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22). The dieter would cease supplementation once the weight goal is reached or when they have their daily routines under control to continue making progress without the supplements.
3. Incorporating meal replacements into daily diet
In all studies, meal replacements (MR) have been shown to be an extremely effective aid to weight reduction (23) and in almost all cases more effective than conventional methods of dietary restrictions (24,25,26,27). Additionally, meal replacements have been shown to be just as effective as dietary restriction combined with pharmacological therapy. (8) And most importantly, continuous use of meal replacements may be the most effective means of all treatments when it comes to maintaining weight loss (1,28,29,30) (see figure 2).
Meal replacements are generally used to replace one or two meals a day and allow the individual complete freedom for their remaining daily calories.
Meal replacements allow
* Portion control: people generally attempt to consume meals to completion (31,32); therefore, meal portion size significantly impacts a person’s total calorie intake. (17,33) Overwhelming evidence validates that the smaller the portions, the fewer daily calories consumed33 and vice-versa – i.e. people tend to “eat with their eyes not their stomachs”. Use of portion controlled meals has proven to yield greater weight loss than conventional diet therapy alone. (34,35,36,37)
* Accurate calorie counts of total daily food intake when compared to having to estimate the calories of self-prepared or unmarked meals. (38)
Figure 2: In all six studies the groups using meal replacements (PMR) as part of their overall calorie intake lost significantly more weight than subjects using the reduced calorie diet (RCD) alone. Heymsfield SB (2003)
Figure 3: In a 1-year follow-up in the groups that were tracked, the subjects still using meal replacements maintained significantly more weight loss than the RCD group. Heymsfield SB (2003)
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Delicious Cookie Predicted to Dominate “Healthy” Dessert Market
New tasty dotTREATs from dotFIT
WESTLAKE VILLAGE, Calif. (June 01, 2009) – dotFIT Worldwide, the developers of dotFIT.com—a world leader in personalized holistic health and fitness solutions for clubs and individuals—announced the release of two new healthy snacks as part of its nutrition dotFIT product line.
“We’ve been on a quest to develop great tasting snacks that are also healthy and nutritious,” said Neal Spruce, chief executive officer of dotFIT Worldwide. “Numerous studies show that bars like those in the nutrition dotFIT line are critical both for pre/post-exercise for recovery, and during weight loss for calorie control and satiety. But who wants to eat something that tastes like cardboard, no matter how healthy it is? We’ve succeeded in creating delicious products that are also good for you.”
dotFIT brings two new delicious flavors, Creamy Peanut Butter and Triple Chocolate, that radically change consumer expectations of the traditional protein bar by taking them to a higher standard. No longer do people have to sacrifice taste for the sake of nutrition.
dotTREATs are high-protein, guilt-free snacks that feature 230 calories and eight grams of fat. The dotTREATs can be purchased online at www.dotFIT.com, or in any of the hundreds of health and fitness facilities that carry dotFIT products across the US.
About dotFIT Worldwide:
Founded in 2008 by a seasoned team of leading fitness industry visionaries, dotFIT Worldwide is rapidly becoming the leader in personalized holistic health and fitness solutions. The company’s unique online platform, dotFIT.com provides the proven essentials needed for people to eat, live and feel better. Driven by dotFIT’s custom Fitness Intelligence Technology, the platform provides a wealth of customized online digital assts, real-time monitoring and progress capabilities, exercise and nutrition programs, nutrition products and access to professional trainers certified by the National Academy of Sports Medicine. For more information visit: www.dotFIT.com.
Contact: Christie Renick
# # #
dotFIT Weight Loss Program Overview